U.S. prosecutors drop fraud charges against billionaire Indian businessman

May 19, 2026
2,116 Views

The Department of Justice said Monday that it would drop its criminal fraud charges against billionaire Indian businessman Gautam Adani, marking a significant reversal in a high-profile case.

The Trump administration asked a federal judge to permanently throw out the indictment brought in 2024 by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Brooklyn, saying it had “reviewed this case and has decided, in its prosecutorial discretion, not to devote further resources to these criminal charges against individual defendants,” according to the court filing.

The request was signed by Trent McCotter, principal associate deputy attorney general, as well as Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Joseph Nocella. It did not include signatures from line prosecutors assigned to the case.

Adani, 63, founder and chairman of the Indian conglomerate Adani Group, was among multiple people Brooklyn prosecutors charged in November 2024 over a massive fraud and bribery scheme. He is estimated to be worth more than $100 billion and has gone back and forth with fellow business magnate Mukesh Ambani as the richest person in India as well as Asia.

The government alleged that Adani and several co-defendants paid $250 million in bribes to Indian government officials so that Adani Green Energy, a subsidiary of Adani Group, would win approval to develop India’s largest solar power plant. The contracts were projected to generate $2 billion in profits over a 20-year period.

Prosecutors also claimed the defendants had swindled U.S. and international investors by obtaining funds “on the basis of false and misleading statements.”

Adani Group, which is based in the Indian city of Ahmedabad, denied the allegations in 2024, calling them “baseless.” There was no immediate comment from the company on Tuesday.

Adani, who has close ties to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, was never arrested in connection with the charges or brought to the United States to face trial. There had been speculation that the case might be abandoned after President Donald Trump last year suspended enforcement of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, a U.S. law that prohibits bribery of foreign officials.

The Trump administration’s decision to retract the criminal charges against Adani comes after the Securities and Exchange Commission said Thursday that Adani, along with his nephew, had agreed to pay $18 million to settle a parallel civil fraud case.

“Without admitting or denying the allegations in the complaint, Gautam Adani and Sagar Adani each consented to the entry of final judgments, subject to court approval,” the commission said in its release.

The Treasury Department also said Monday that it had reached a $275 million settlement with a company founded by Adani, Adani Enterprises Limited, for “egregious” violations of U.S. sanctions against Iran.

Source link

You may be interested

Cubs’ Pete Crow-Armstrong apologizes for vulgar response to fan heckler
Sports
shares3,497 views
Sports
shares3,497 views

Cubs’ Pete Crow-Armstrong apologizes for vulgar response to fan heckler

new admin - May 19, 2026

[ad_1] NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Chicago Cubs center fielder Pete Crow-Armstrong apologized for using vulgar language…

From the archives: Cuba shoots down 2 civilian planes in 1996
Top Stories
shares2,904 views
Top Stories
shares2,904 views

From the archives: Cuba shoots down 2 civilian planes in 1996

new admin - May 19, 2026

On Feb. 24, 1996, Cuba shot down two civilian aircraft, prompting global outcry. Watch CBS News' coverage of the aftermath.…

Ike Willis, Frank Zappa’s Longtime Vocalist and Guitarist, Dead at 70
Music
shares2,656 views
Music
shares2,656 views

Ike Willis, Frank Zappa’s Longtime Vocalist and Guitarist, Dead at 70

new admin - May 19, 2026

[ad_1] Ike Willis, the singer and guitarist who spent a decade with Frank Zappa and starred on his three-disc rock…