Donovan Mitchell says Cavaliers ‘f–king blew it’ after collapse vs Knicks

May 20, 2026
3,620 Views


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Cleveland Cavaliers blew a 22-point fourth-quarter lead, and star Donovan Mitchell did not mince words about the historic collapse.

The New York Knicks defeated the Cavaliers 115-104 in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals on Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden, erasing a 93-71 deficit with 7:52 left to play in regulation.

“I said it in the locker room, just that we lost, we f—ing blew it,” Mitchell said in his postgame news conference.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Donovan Mitchell reacting during overtime in an NBA playoff game at Madison Square Garden

Cleveland Cavaliers guard Donovan Mitchell reacts during overtime in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden in New York on May 19, 2026. (Brad Penner/Imagn Images)

The only bigger fourth-quarter playoff comeback in the last 30 years was the Los Angeles Clippers rally from 24 down to beat the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 1 of the first round in 2012.

The Cavaliers were in control of the game through 40 minutes, as the team’s defense stifled the high-powered Knicks offense. Mitchell scored 29 points and had six steals in the loss.

“We could’ve lost by 40. It still would’ve been 1-0,” Mitchell said. “Watch the film. We played pretty solid for three quarters or so. We’ll make adjustments and go from there.”

KNICKS STORM BACK TO SHOCK CAVS IN GAME 1 AS JAMES HARDEN’S DEFENSIVE PLAY COMES UNDER SCRUTINY

Donovan Mitchell dribbling basketball defended by Landry Shamet and Jalen Brunson in a game

Donovan Mitchell of the Cleveland Cavaliers is defended by Landry Shamet and Jalen Brunson of the Knicks during Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals in New York on May 19, 2026. (Seth Wenig/AP Photo)

The 29-year-old said he doesn’t want to let one quarter affect the rest of the series.

“It’s one loss. It’s a bad loss, but all we can do is go back and watch the film and fix it,” Mitchell said.

“That can’t happen. But it did. We play in two days. We can’t sit here and let it kill our momentum, kill what we’ve been doing. It’s not a good loss, but we got to go out there and respond for Game 2.”

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

New York Knicks' Jalen Brunson reacting after scoring a basket during a basketball game.

Knicks’ Jalen Brunson reacts after scoring during Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Cleveland Cavaliers in New York on May 19, 2026. (Seth Wenig/AP Photo)

Jalen Brunson sparked the Knicks’ comeback win, scoring 16 of his game-high 38 points in the fourth quarter. The Knicks went on a 44-11 run in the fourth quarter and overtime to complete the stunning comeback.

The Knicks came from 20 points behind three times last year in the postseason. Those were their largest comebacks on record since 1969-70, when they won their first of two NBA titles.

The Cavaliers will try to bounce back in Game 2 against the Knicks on Thursday at 8 p.m. ET.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.





Source link

You may be interested

Could Pep Guardiola Be Next USA Coach? ‘Absolutely Make That Call’
Sports
shares2,477 views
Sports
shares2,477 views

Could Pep Guardiola Be Next USA Coach? ‘Absolutely Make That Call’

new admin - May 20, 2026

[ad_1] NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! U.S. men’s national team coach Mauricio Pochettino is gearing up for…

Vibe coding is coming to your phone
Technology
shares2,197 views
Technology
shares2,197 views

Vibe coding is coming to your phone

new admin - May 20, 2026

“There’s an app for that” was the promise of the App Store from the very beginning. The app that will…

Trump DOJ indicts former Cuban president Raúl Castro over fatal 1996 civilian plane shootings
World
shares3,821 views
World
shares3,821 views

Trump DOJ indicts former Cuban president Raúl Castro over fatal 1996 civilian plane shootings

new admin - May 20, 2026

MIAMI — The Justice Department indicted former Cuban President Raúl Castro on Wednesday in connection with the 1996 shooting of…