Jury tosses Elon Musk’s lawsuit against OpenAI and Sam Altman

May 18, 2026
2,462 Views


OAKLAND, Calif. — A jury on Monday found that tech billionaire Elon Musk waited too long to bring his lawsuit against OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, throwing out the suit that claimed Altman had unlawfully enriched himself from the organization they helped to create.

The jury found Altman, co-founder Greg Brockman and OpenAI not liable on all claims after a blockbuster three-week trial that has captured the attention of the tech industry and that threatened to reshape the race to develop artificial intelligence.

On the same statute-of-limitations grounds, the jury also rejected Musk’s claim that Microsoft aided and abetted Altman and Brockman in allegedly breaching their duty to OpenAI. Microsoft was an early and large investor in OpenAI’s for-profit operation.

The verdict was unanimous. The jury began deliberating first thing Monday morning and took less than two hours to reach a verdict.

Steven Molo, a lawyer for Musk, said in court that he was preserving his right to appeal but hadn’t yet made a decision how to proceed.

The question of whether Musk dragged his feet before suing was a primary topic of questions when Musk was on the witness stand for three days.

The statute of limitations were strict in the case: three years for a claim that Altman and Brockman breached a duty of charitable trust that they owed to OpenAI as a nonprofit organization, and two years for a claim that they unlawfully enriched themselves from the organization.

OpenAI co-founders including Musk, Altman and Brockman discussed a for-profit conversion as early 2017, and OpenAI created a for-profit arm initially in 2019. Musk sued in 2024.

Musk said during the trial that he waited to sue because he believed reassurances from Altman over the years. He said he finally became fed up in 2023 after Microsoft invested $10 billion in OpenAI’s for-profit arm in exchange for intellectual property rights and a share of future profits.

The trial was remarkable for the massive concentration of wealth on display. Altman, Brockman and Musk are all billionaires. In all, six tech billionaires testified in the case. Outside the courthouse, the trial at times resembled a small circus as demonstrators with props showed up to protest AI, wealth inequality or both.



Source link

You may be interested

Trump says he’s called off plans for “scheduled attack of Iran” after request from Gulf partners
Top Stories
shares2,139 views
Top Stories
shares2,139 views

Trump says he’s called off plans for “scheduled attack of Iran” after request from Gulf partners

new admin - May 18, 2026

Washington — President Trump said Monday that he's called off a U.S. attack on Iran that had been "scheduled" for…

PlayStation exclusives aren’t coming to PC anymore
Technology
shares3,090 views
Technology
shares3,090 views

PlayStation exclusives aren’t coming to PC anymore

new admin - May 18, 2026

PlayStation reportedly won’t release its major single-player PlayStation games on PC anymore. According to Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier, Hermen Hulst, who…

Bruce Springsteen’s Manager Denies Reports of Chris Christie Rift
Music
shares3,215 views
Music
shares3,215 views

Bruce Springsteen’s Manager Denies Reports of Chris Christie Rift

new admin - May 18, 2026

[ad_1] A video of Bruce Springsteen supposedly snubbing former New Jersey governor Chris Christie during a recent concert in Brooklyn…