How Universities Are Responding to Trump’s Compact

October 24, 2025
3,672 Views

In the weeks since Trump officials asked university leaders to give feedback on their plan to ensure that colleges are adhering to the administration’s priorities, several of those leaders and others in higher ed have made clear that the proposal is a nonstarter—at least in its current form.

So far, leaders at 11 universities have publicly said they won’t sign the current draft of the “Compact for Academic Excellence in Higher Education,” according to an Inside Higher Ed database. Two others have said they are providing feedback. Universities will be added to the map and table below as they make public statements.

The wide-ranging proposal would require universities to ban consideration of race or sex in hiring and admissions, freeze tuition, commit to not considering transgender women to be women and shut down departments that “punish, belittle” or “spark violence against conservative ideas,” among other provisions. Trump officials say universities that sign on could get access to some benefits such as preferential treatment for grant funding. But those that don’t want to adhere to the agreement are free to “forego [sic] federal benefits.”

Higher ed leaders and observers see the compact as the Trump administration’s blueprint for overhauling America’s colleges and universities. Trump officials view it as an opportunity for the “proactive improvement of higher education for the betterment of the country.” Critics have urged institutions to reject the proposal, arguing it undermines institutions’ independence and carries steep penalties.

Nine universities were initially asked Oct. 1 to give “limited, targeted feedback” by Oct. 20 on the document that Trump officials said was “largely in its final form.” President Trump said in mid-October that any college that wants to “return to the pursuit of Truth and Achievement” could sign on but didn’t explain how interested institutions could do so. No college has publicly taken Trump up on his offer. The administration is reportedly planning to update the document in response to the feedback and send out a new version in November.



Source by [author_name]

You may be interested

Concerns about Ebola strain with no known vaccine or treatment
Top Stories
shares2,372 views
Top Stories
shares2,372 views

Concerns about Ebola strain with no known vaccine or treatment

new admin - May 18, 2026

Concerns about Ebola strain with no known vaccine or treatment - CBS News Watch CBS News World health officials are…

Bodies of divers missing in Maldives have been found
Top Stories
shares3,393 views
Top Stories
shares3,393 views

Bodies of divers missing in Maldives have been found

new admin - May 18, 2026

The bodies of divers who went missing in the Maldives have been located, authorities said Monday. Over the weekend, a…

‘I ditched UK for Spain and there’s been 1 unexpected benefit to life’ | Travel News | Travel
Lifestyle
shares3,131 views
Lifestyle
shares3,131 views

‘I ditched UK for Spain and there’s been 1 unexpected benefit to life’ | Travel News | Travel

new admin - May 18, 2026

She shared the unexpected benefit of moving to Spain (Stock Image) (Image: Getty)A woman has shared the unexpected benefit she…