Swedish police say 1 dead, 2 injured after school sword attack

August 21, 2026
2,673 Views

An 18-year-old with a sword attacked a school Friday in central Sweden, killing one person and seriously injuring at least two others, authorities said. 

The 18-year-old perpetrator at the school has been arrested, Police Chief Tommy Alriksson said at a news conference. 

Police confirmed that shots were fired during the arrest. It was not clear whether the suspect had been injured, but he was being held in custody — not treated in a hospital.

The attack took place at the Brinell School in Fagersta, a city northwest of the capital, Stockholm, while classes were in session, with about 400 to 500 students, officials said. 

Vastmanland County, where the town is located, said the two seriously injured boys were between 12 and 17 years old, the TT news agency reported. It did not provide details about the dead person. 

Sweden Sword Attack

Police and emergency personnel outside Brinellskolan during a major emergency response after a man with a sword reportedly injured several people at the school in Fagersta, Sweden, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. 

Fredrik Sandberg / AP Photo


There was no immediate word on the attacker’s possible motive.

“We have no reason at this time to believe that there are multiple perpetrators,” said Alriksson, adding that an investigation was continuing.

Sweden’s national police said investigators have already carried out two house searches in connection with the suspect. Many witnesses were expected to be interviewed as part of the investigation.

“That’s why we can’t give out too much information, because we don’t want to influence witnesses,” Alriksson said.

Police spokesperson Pelle Vamstad, quoted by the TT news agency, said an alarm was received early Friday afternoon and that police rushed to the scene. He said officers would check any available camera footage for their investigation.

The dead person was found as police entered the school to secure the premises, authorities said.

In a post earlier on X, Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson called the attack a “serious incident” and lamented the violence in Fagersta “right after the summer break.” 

“We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively,” he added. “Our thoughts are with all those affected.”

The Fagersta city government said it set up a crisis center in a sports hall near the school. The Vastmanland County government said “many people” were affected and that police, fire services and healthcare workers were among those caring for them.

Several nearby schools had been locked down following the incident, and roadblocks were set up, authorities said.

Source link

You may be interested

Watch: Severe storms slam the Northeast
Top Stories
shares2,637 views
Top Stories
shares2,637 views

Watch: Severe storms slam the Northeast

new admin - Aug 21, 2026

Heavy rain and winds battered parts of the Northeast United States on Thursday, with some states even reporting tornadoes. These…

Over one million people have clicked LinkedIn’s AI slop button
Technology
shares2,370 views
Technology
shares2,370 views

Over one million people have clicked LinkedIn’s AI slop button

new admin - Aug 21, 2026

LinkedIn actually announced a “Seems like AI slop” button on July 30th, and the company says that a lot of…

Walmart to let shoppers use Apple Pay, other tap-to-pay methods starting in August
Top Stories
shares2,522 views
Top Stories
shares2,522 views

Walmart to let shoppers use Apple Pay, other tap-to-pay methods starting in August

new admin - Aug 21, 2026

Walmart will soon let its customers make purchases using Apple Pay and other tap-to-pay methods, the retail giant said on…