Retired NFL star Antonio Gates refutes reports linking him to rigged poker games

October 28, 2025
3,710 Views


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Antonio Gates, a member of the 2025 Pro Football Hall of Fame class, categorically denied any connection to the sprawling gambling scandal that sent shockwaves across the NBA and the sports world at larger.

Denise White, Gates’ business manager, issued a statement dismissing reports linking the former NFL tight end to alleged mafia-backed poker schemes.

“Antonio Gates has not been involved nor has he been accused of any wrongdoing, assertions to the contrary are false and without merit. There will be no further comments on this matter,” White, EAG Sports Management CEO, said in a statement released on Monday.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Antonio Gates looks on during a Chargers game

Los Angeles Chargers tight end Antonio Gates watches a replay from the sideline at StubHub Center in Carson on Oct. 7, 2018. (Scott Varley/Digital First Media/Torrance Daily Breeze via Getty Images)

On Sunday, podcaster and television host Pablo Torre reported that Gates allegedly “hosted” and also “played in” a fraudulent poker game. The game in question reportedly took place in Miami. Furthermore, Torre claimed Curtis Meeks also “organized” the illegal affair.

NBA MEMO SHEDS LIGHT ON LEAGUE’S INTEGRITY CONCERNS AFTER GAMBLING-RELATED ARRESTS

Meeks was among more than 30 individuals named in unsealed indictments last week. Gates’ name was not listed in the federal documents.

Portland Trail Blazers head coach Chauncey Billups, Miami Heat guard Terry Rozier and former NBA player Damon Jones were among the notable figures arrested by federal investigators.

NBA logo on a basketball court

A basketball is placed on the court next to an NBA logo during the Summer League game between the Portland Trail Blazers and the Houston Rockets at the Thomas & Mack Center on July 7, 2023, in Las Vegas. (Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

Federal investigators accused Rozier of revealing privileged information about player availability, which was allegedly used to influence prop bets. Billups, the 2004 NBA Finals MVP, was allegedly linked to the organization and execution of complex illegal poker operations. Jones was also allegedly associated with the sophisticated scheme.

Investigators said the illegal operation was highly organized and targeted players under the guise of legitimacy. However, the games were structured in a way that prevented fair outcomes.

According to an FBI indictment, the illegal gambling ring had ties to the mafia.

Gates spent his entire 16-year NFL career with the Chargers organization. 

Antonio Gates during a Chargers game

Los Angeles Chargers tight end Antonio Gates gestures during warmups for the game against Washington on Dec. 10, 2017, at StubHub Center in Carson, California. (Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)

During that time, he was named to eight Pro Bowls. He is the Chargers’ receptions leader. He finished his standout career with 116 receiving touchdowns.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Gates’ path to the NFL was unconventional. He elected to play basketball instead of football in college. He then went undrafted in 2003. 

Gates is a member of the Chargers Hall of Fame.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.





Source link

You may be interested

The Audi S6 Sportback E-tron proves that sedans still matter
Technology
shares3,485 views
Technology
shares3,485 views

The Audi S6 Sportback E-tron proves that sedans still matter

new admin - Aug 20, 2026

Last year, Audi announced that it gave its all-EV-by-2033 plan the boot, and instead will offer a mix of gasoline,…

Broward College President Fends Off Firing Attempt
Education
shares2,460 views
Education
shares2,460 views

Broward College President Fends Off Firing Attempt

new admin - Aug 20, 2026

[ad_1] Torey Alston remains the president of Broward College. The college’s Board of Trustees had scheduled a meeting for Wednesday…

Iran dismisses Trump’s “economic D-Day” threat, says it “will only bring further defeat”
Top Stories
shares2,798 views
Top Stories
shares2,798 views

Iran dismisses Trump’s “economic D-Day” threat, says it “will only bring further defeat”

new admin - Aug 20, 2026

  6m ago ICE, Iran quietly worked together on deporting Iranians to Iran, emails show Los Angeles — U.S. immigration…