Rays’ Wander Franco found criminally responsible for abusing minor, avoids jail time in Domincan Republic

May 25, 2026
2,269 Views

Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco was declared criminally responsible for the sexual and psychological abuse of a minor, but he will not serve a sentence for it, a Dominican judge ruled Monday.

Judge José Antonio Núñez, in his decision, considered that Franco had been the victim of extortion and blackmail by the minor’s mother, who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for sexually trafficking her daughter.

“It seems contradictory to declare criminal responsibility and, at the same time, exempt him from punishment. The court has granted Wander Franco a judicial pardon due to the particular circumstances that made him a material victim, but not a legal one,” explained Núñez.

The judge justified the judicial pardon as a “logical and legal reasoning.”

“Thank God for everything,” Franco expressed as he effusively embraced his mother, Nancy Aybar, and other family members who accompanied him in court.

Franco was arrested in January 2024 after being accused of having a four-month relationship with a girl who was 14 at the time and transferring thousands of dollars to her mother to consent to the illegal relationship. He had also faced charges of sexual and commercial exploitation against a minor, and human trafficking, but was previously found not guilty of those.

DOMINICAN REP-ABUSE-FRANCO-SENTENCE

Wander Franco leaving court in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, on June 26, 2025.

Luis Tavarez/AFP via Getty Images


After the ruling, Franco left the courthouse alongside his lawyer, Teodosio Jáquez, and briefly answered reporters’ questions, saying, “I feel calm,” and asking his fans to “continue supporting me and trusting in me.”

Franco also said he personally had not contacted the Rays but that his lawyers surely had.

“We are aware of today’s verdict in the Wander Franco trial and will conclude our investigation at the appropriate time,” Major League Baseball said in a statement.

Franco attorney Jáquez said: “We don’t have the physical sentence in our hands, but he was exempted from punishment because the president of the court established that he was also a victim and because he is exempted from punishment through judicial pardon.”

The full sentencing will be on June 16.

“When we have the full sentence in hand, we will give you more details,” Jáquez said. “He was exempted from punishment, and we think that’s fine, but we need to have the sentence in hand.

In November 2021, Franco signed an 11-year, $182 million contract with the Rays, but his career was upended when authorities in the Dominican Republic announced in August 2023 that they were investigating him for an alleged relationship with a minor. Franco was 22 at the time.

Six months after his arrest, Tampa Bay placed him on the restricted list, which cut off the pay he had been receiving while on administrative leave.

Source link

You may be interested

Flock camera sabotage grows amid privacy concerns
Top Stories
shares3,824 views
Top Stories
shares3,824 views

Flock camera sabotage grows amid privacy concerns

new admin - Aug 22, 2026

Flock camera sabotage grows amid privacy concerns - CBS News Watch CBS News Cities across the country are unplugging Flock…

Clinique fans snap up £108 worth of anti-ageing skincare buys for £52 with deal
Lifestyle
shares2,519 views
Lifestyle
shares2,519 views

Clinique fans snap up £108 worth of anti-ageing skincare buys for £52 with deal

new admin - Aug 22, 2026

The set includes products wrinkle correcting cream SPF, correcting serum and eye cream. Source link

Hayden Panettiere was given Narcan after being found unconcious, witness says
Top Stories
shares3,511 views
Top Stories
shares3,511 views

Hayden Panettiere was given Narcan after being found unconcious, witness says

new admin - Aug 22, 2026

New details in Hayden Panettiere's sudden death have emerged as her on-and-off boyfriend's brother, who was present when she died,…