F1 scraps Bahrain, Saudi Arabia races amid Iran conflict: reports

March 13, 2026
3,144 Views


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The fourth round of races in Formula 1’s new season, scheduled for next month in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, are no longer expected to proceed as planned.

ESPN, citing sources, reported that F1 officials agreed to cancel the events amid the ongoing conflict involving Iran. 

Sky News was first to report the cancellation.

The Bahrain race had been scheduled for April 12, while the event in Saudi Arabia was slated to begin on April 19 in the city of Jeddah. Bahrain and Saudi Arabia have both been hit by missile strikes during Iran’s retaliation after a series of U.S. and Israeli attacks on Iran. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

F1 Grand Prix in Miami

Driver Fernando Alonso of Aston Martin competes during the F1 Grand Prix of Miami at the Miami International Autodrome May 7, 2023, in Miami Gardens, Fla. (Eva Marie Uzcategul T/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

Although it remains unclear what state the conflict will be in around the dates the races were scheduled to begin, F1 teams would soon need to start sending freight to the region in preparation for both events. The condensed timeline likely prompted decision-makers to reach a conclusion now.

There is no word on whether the Middle East races will be rescheduled for a later date. However, there is little room on the rest of this year’s calendar to move the events.

The F1 logo

The F1 logo is displayed during the Formula 1 MSC Cruises Grande Premio De Sao Paulo 2025 in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Nov. 6, 2025.  (Alessio Morgese/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Given the uncertainty, F1 reportedly made the decision to avoid any disruption to the championship should a race be canceled later in the calendar.

LIV GOLFERS DEAL WITH ‘TERRIFYING’ EXPERIENCE IN MIDDLE EAST AS CONFLICT BROKE OUT IN IRAN

The reduced 2026 schedule of 22 races also creates a five-week gap between the season’s third round in Japan and the Miami Grand Prix, scheduled for May 3.

The F1 Grand Prix of Saudi Arabi

Italy’s Andrea Kimi Antonelli (12), driving the Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team W16, leads Great Britain’s Lando Norris, driving the (4) McLaren MCL39 Mercedes, during the F1 Grand Prix of Saudi Arabia at Jeddah Corniche Circuit April 20, 2025, in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.  (Clive Mason/Getty Images)

A request for comment from Fox News Digital to Formula 1 was not immediately returned.

On Thursday, seven-time champion Lewis Hamilton said he was confident F1 would make the best decision. 

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“I know that [F1 CEO] Stefano [Domenicali] will do what is right for all of us and the sport,” Hamilton said in the lead up to the Chinese Grand Prix. “That is the great thing about having a great leader like him.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.





Source link

You may be interested

Transcript: Lt. Col. William Swenson (Ret.) and Master Sgt. Matthew Williams (Ret.) on “Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan,” May 24, 2026
Top Stories
shares3,357 views
Top Stories
shares3,357 views

Transcript: Lt. Col. William Swenson (Ret.) and Master Sgt. Matthew Williams (Ret.) on “Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan,” May 24, 2026

new admin - May 24, 2026

The following is the transcript of the interview with retired Lt. Col. William Swenson and retired Master Sgt. Matthew Williams…

Expert warns people should never run fan all night in hot weather
Lifestyle
shares2,600 views
Lifestyle
shares2,600 views

Expert warns people should never run fan all night in hot weather

new admin - May 24, 2026

An expert has issued a warning about fans (Stock Image) (Image: Olga Pankova via Getty Images)An expert has revealed why…

‘Eerily realistic’ nuclear war film is 2019 ‘masterpiece’ | Films | Entertainment
Movies
shares2,221 views
Movies
shares2,221 views

‘Eerily realistic’ nuclear war film is 2019 ‘masterpiece’ | Films | Entertainment

new admin - May 24, 2026

Still from 2019 war thriller Wolf’s Call (Image: -)A "masterpiece" war film about the horrors of nuclear escalation is hailed…