Epic and Google have signed a special deal for a new class of ‘metaverse’ apps

March 4, 2026
3,233 Views

Epic Games and Google are burying the hatchet, but documents released today reveal that they aren’t only aligned on how Google is shaking things up for app stores. The two companies have also agreed to terms about a new class of apps that they’re calling “metaverse browsers,” according to a heavily redacted section of a revised binding term sheet.

While the term “metaverse” has largely fallen out of favor — Mark Zuckerberg, for example, is now much more interested in AI — Epic CEO Tim Sweeney has been talking for years about the metaverse and how it might work in the future. (Depending on how you define the concept, Epic’s Fortnite is already arguably one of the biggest versions of a metaverse.) And this actually isn’t the first time there has been a connection with Epic and Google about the metaverse; in court in January, when discussing a secret $800 million Unreal Engine and services deal, Sweeney blurted out that the agreement related to the metaverse.

Unfortunately, the redactions in the revised binding term sheet cover up a lot of the key details about what a metaverse browser actually is. But from what’s visible in the document, metaverse browsers will:

In a blog post today about Google’s changes, Epic also vaguely noted that “Google will take steps to support the future open metaverse.”

When reached for comment by The Verge, Epic spokesperson Natalie Munoz and Google spokesperson Dan Jackson both said they had nothing further to share.

Source link

You may be interested

On Trails is a wandering tale that blends hiking, science, and history
Technology
shares2,612 views
Technology
shares2,612 views

On Trails is a wandering tale that blends hiking, science, and history

new admin - May 24, 2026

Hiking is one of life’s great joys. Turning off the screens and stepping out into nature for an extended period…

Rubio says “significant progress” has been made in Iran talks, but not “final progress”
Top Stories
shares3,685 views
Top Stories
shares3,685 views

Rubio says “significant progress” has been made in Iran talks, but not “final progress”

new admin - May 24, 2026

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Sunday that "significant progress" had been made in peace talks with Iran, but not…

Apple’s latest MacBook Air is $200 off in both sizes for Memorial Day
Technology
shares3,059 views
Technology
shares3,059 views

Apple’s latest MacBook Air is $200 off in both sizes for Memorial Day

new admin - May 24, 2026

If you’re looking for a laptop that’ll still perform well several years from now, Apple’s latest MacBook Air is hard…