British government considering removing former Prince Andrew from line of succession to the crown after arrest

February 21, 2026
3,401 Views

The British government is considering formally removing Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession to the crown following his arrest over revelations in the documents related to Jeffrey Epstein.

It would be a bold move that could preserve the dignity of the British royal family as it faces its worst crisis in generations. It would be a blow for the former prince, who remains eighth in line to the throne despite losing his status and his honors last year.

“If only they’d stop treating it with kid gloves and treat it as an institution which is useful and does a good job and is not lavishly expensive and all of that, then I think the monarchy will and should survive,” said David Dimbleby, the author of “What Is the Monarch For?”

In addition to a legislative act from Parliament, removing Andrew from the line of succession would require the agreement of 14 Commonwealth countries.

Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday, held for 11 hours and then released under investigation, meaning he was neither charged nor exonerated.

He was arrested on suspicion of misconduct while in public office, not for any offenses involving his many documented encounters with young women linked to Epstein. Among the trove of documents released by the U.S. government are emails indicating the royal may have shared confidential U.K. government information with Epstein about his trips to Southeast Asia, and possible investment opportunities in Afghanistan, in 2010-2011.

Andrew was an official trade representative for the British government at the time.

Former Prince Andrew leaves police station following his arrest

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, leaves Aylsham Police Station after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Feb. 19, 2026.

Phil Noble / REUTERS


British police continue to search Andrew’s home as part of the investigation and have begun to question his former close protection officers for information relevant to their inquiries.

After pledging to support the police investigation into his brother’s relationship with the late convicted sex offender Epstein, King Charles reiterated his intentions to the British public.

“My family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all,” he said in a statement signed “Charles R.,” using the abbreviation for Rex, the Latin word for king.

Andrew Mounbatten-Windsor - Epstein files scandal

A police officer on duty at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, where Andrew Mounbatten-Windsor has relocated following his departure from Royal Lodge in Windsor.

Joe Giddens/PA Images via Getty Images


The simple fact that Charles made the statement showed the scale of the problem. Andrew is the first senior member of the royal family to be arrested in about 400 years, when King Charles I was arrested and executed during the English Civil War.

Mountbatten-Windsor has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing linked to his longtime friendship with Epstein. If convicted of misconduct while in public office, he could face life in prison.

Source link

You may be interested

What to know as Florida holds primaries for governor, U.S. Senate and U.S. House
Top Stories
shares2,142 views
Top Stories
shares2,142 views

What to know as Florida holds primaries for governor, U.S. Senate and U.S. House

new admin - Aug 18, 2026

Florida is holding primary elections Tuesday with races for governor and both chambers of Congress. CBS News contributor Marc Caputo…

Justice Department to send a record 1,000 monitors to polling places in midterm elections
Top Stories
shares3,660 views
Top Stories
shares3,660 views

Justice Department to send a record 1,000 monitors to polling places in midterm elections

new admin - Aug 18, 2026

Washington — The Justice Department is planning to deploy a record 1,000 federal monitors to polling places throughout the U.S.…

Gov. Josh Shapiro issues a new executive order on data centers in Pennsylvania
Business
shares3,878 views
Business
shares3,878 views

Gov. Josh Shapiro issues a new executive order on data centers in Pennsylvania

new admin - Aug 18, 2026

[ad_1] Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro announced significant restrictions on data center projects Tuesday, signing an executive order to stop “predatory”…