Australian teen charged with making hoax mass shooting calls to U.S. institutions

January 13, 2026
2,824 Views

An Australian teenager has been charged over multiple hoax calls he allegedly made falsely claiming that mass shootings were underway at major U.S. educational institutions and retailers.

The suspect, who was scheduled to appear in court in Australia on Tuesday and was identified only as a teen boy, “allegedly caused widespread alarm and turmoil to thousands of people, businesses and services in the United States, resulting in significant financial implications,” Graeme Marshall, acting assistant commissioner of the Australian Federal Police (AFP), said in a joint news release with the FBI.

Known as “swatting,” such calls to emergency services are a form of criminal harassment that is intended to prompt a rapid and large-scale response by police and other forces.

The firearm found at the suspect’s home.
The firearm found at the suspect’s home.Australian Federal Police

The AFP, which launched a task force in October to investigate anonymous online crime networks, said it had acted on intelligence received from the FBI. A number of electronic devices and a firearm were recovered during a search last month of a home in the state of New South Wales, they said.

Police said the suspect, who cannot be publicly named under Australian law, was being charged with 12 counts of using a telecommunications network with intention to commit a serious offense and one count of unauthorized possession of a prohibited firearm.

The first offense is punishable by up to five years in prison, while the second has a maximum penalty of 14 years.

Marshall said that perpetrators of swatting and other crimes, often boys and men ages 11 to 25, are seeking “to achieve status, notoriety and recognition in their online groups.”

Jason A. Kaplan, assistant director of the FBI’s International Operations Division, said his agency views swatting as a dangerous crime that endangers lives and diverts critical emergency resources.

“This case demonstrates that anonymity online is an illusion, and we are committed to working with the AFP, our international partners, and private sector partners to identify and hold accountable those who exploit technology to cause harm to communities,” he said.

Erika Olson, chargé d’affaires at the U.S. Embassy in Canberra, said the FBI and AFP “have worked side-by-side for decades to keep both our countries safe, and we appreciate our continued cooperation.”

Source link

You may be interested

Bonnaroo Won’t Return in 2027
Music
shares3,008 views
Music
shares3,008 views

Bonnaroo Won’t Return in 2027

new admin - Aug 21, 2026

[ad_1] We apologize to be the bearer of bad news: The Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival is taking a year…

Google’s Pixel 10A is a great deal at 15 percent off
Technology
shares2,416 views
Technology
shares2,416 views

Google’s Pixel 10A is a great deal at 15 percent off

new admin - Aug 21, 2026

This week, all of Google’s Pixel 11 phones launched, including the $899 Pixel 11, the $1,099 Pixel 11 Pro (with…

DIY expert's £5 paint method will instantly 'make small rooms look bigger'
Lifestyle
shares3,094 views
Lifestyle
shares3,094 views

DIY expert's £5 paint method will instantly 'make small rooms look bigger'

new admin - Aug 21, 2026

Feeling cramped in your small space? One DIY expert has shared a £5 paint trick that can help make any…