Independence Arch, or so-called “Arc de Trump,” plans include taxpayer funds

April 10, 2026
3,142 Views


Washington — American taxpayers will help fund the construction of President Trump’s planned triumphal arch in Arlington, Virginia, according to the spending plan for the National Endowment for the Humanities released by the administration this week. 

According to the endowment’s spending plan approved by the Office of Management and Budget in September, $2 million in special initiative funds and $13 million in matching funds “are reserved for the arch.” NEH, an independent federal agency, often funds projects through a combination of federal dollars and matching private contributions. NOTUS first reported that taxpayer funds are expected to be used for the arch. 

It’s not yet clear what private funds may go toward Independence Arch, though the president previously indicated that leftover private funds from his White House ballroom addition could be used. The White House has not yet disclosed an estimated cost for the arch. The president has said the massive ballroom he’s building at the White House at a cost of $300 million to $400 million will be funded entirely by private donors, in contrast to the arch.

OMB and NEH did not immediately respond to a request for comment. 

The president says the arch will commemorate the nation’s 250th anniversary, and he’s previously displayed a model in the Oval Office. The renderings and model show an arc resembling France’s Arc de Triomphe sitting across from the Lincoln Memorial on the Virginia side of the Potomac River by Washington, D.C. The president said he wants the arch to be the “biggest one of all” in the world, even though the proposed site is situated along a flight path for nearby Reagan National Airport. 

“It’s the only city in the world that’s of great importance that doesn’t have a triumphal arc,” the president said in December. “… And this one is going to blow them all away. The one that people know mostly is the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, France. And we’re going to top it by I think a lot.”

When CBS News’ Ed O’Keefe asked the president in October whom the arch is for, he responded, “Me. Going to be beautiful.” After the president said the arch was for him, some nicknamed it the “Arc de Trump.” 

Source link

You may be interested

Neutrogena faces backlash after death of Hayden Panettiere 
Business
shares3,803 views
Business
shares3,803 views

Neutrogena faces backlash after death of Hayden Panettiere 

new admin - Aug 18, 2026

[ad_1] IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.Now PlayingNeutrogena faces backlash after…

What to know as Florida holds primaries for governor, U.S. Senate and U.S. House
Top Stories
shares2,143 views
Top Stories
shares2,143 views

What to know as Florida holds primaries for governor, U.S. Senate and U.S. House

new admin - Aug 18, 2026

Florida is holding primary elections Tuesday with races for governor and both chambers of Congress. CBS News contributor Marc Caputo…

Justice Department to send a record 1,000 monitors to polling places in midterm elections
Top Stories
shares3,661 views
Top Stories
shares3,661 views

Justice Department to send a record 1,000 monitors to polling places in midterm elections

new admin - Aug 18, 2026

Washington — The Justice Department is planning to deploy a record 1,000 federal monitors to polling places throughout the U.S.…