Confusion in Kyiv and Moscow after Trump says Putin agreed to pause attacks for a week

January 30, 2026
2,238 Views

Trump did not say when the one-week period would begin and end for Ukraine, which has been hit with bitterly cold winter conditions that have brought hardship on the long-suffering population.

The White House did not respond to NBC News’ request for clarification on when Putin would halt the strikes, whether Trump had agreed to anything in return and what the president would do if Russia started attacking again during the agreed break.

“As President Trump said, he asked President Putin to withhold strikes on Kyiv for one week amid extremely cold temperatures, and the Russian President agreed to do so,” a spokesperson said in an email.

Kyiv and its surrounding region has been in the grip of a bitter cold snap since early this month, with overnight temperatures dipping to as low as minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 20 degrees Celsius). Although temperatures have warmed up in recent days, forecasters are predicting the mercury will plunge again next week.

Repeated Russian attacks on Ukraine’s energy infrastructure have left millions of people in the dark and cold, despite best efforts to repair and restore power to the grid.

Although there were no strikes on the Kyiv region overnight, Ukraine’s air force said Russia had fired a ballistic missile and launched more than 100 drones at the country with strikes recorded in 15 locations. Officials in five regions reported that several people had been killed and wounded.

Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Wednesday.
Russian President Vladimir Putin. Maxim Shipenkov / POOL / AFP via Getty Images

Russia’s Defense Ministry said Friday it struck military targets inside Ukraine, including energy facilities used to support the army.

But Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov confirmed in a briefing with reporters that Trump had asked Putin to refrain from strikes on Kyiv for a week until Feb. 1 “in order to create favorable conditions for negotiations.”

The mention of Feb. 1 added to the confusion since it is only two days away.

Peskov declined to say whether Putin had agreed to Trump’s request when asked at least three times by reporters, but when pushed, he replied: “Yes, of course. It was a personal request from President Trump.”

Source link

You may be interested

Can debt collectors garnish your unemployment benefits?
Top Stories
shares2,116 views
Top Stories
shares2,116 views

Can debt collectors garnish your unemployment benefits?

new admin - Aug 21, 2026

Unemployment benefits often come with protections that prevent garnishment, but those protections can vary. Glegorly/Getty Images The loss of a…

The Rolling Stones Play Knebworth
Music
shares3,126 views
Music
shares3,126 views

The Rolling Stones Play Knebworth

new admin - Aug 21, 2026

[ad_1] The second season of Laverne & Shirley had just gone into production when Cindy “Shirley” Williams came down with…

Blue Eye Samurai’s second season will hit Netflix in January
Technology
shares3,154 views
Technology
shares3,154 views

Blue Eye Samurai’s second season will hit Netflix in January

new admin - Aug 21, 2026

Good news for Blue Eye Samurai fans: Netflix has shared the first trailer and release timeline for the second season…