8 states, including California and New York, sue to block $6.2B Nexstar-Tegna merger

March 19, 2026
2,672 Views



California, New York and six other states filed a lawsuit late Wednesday seeking to block television station owner Nexstar’s proposed $6.2 billion takeover of rival company Tegna, arguing the tie-up violates federal antitrust laws.

“When broadcast media is owned by a handful of companies, we get fewer voices, less competition, and communities lose the critical check on power that local journalism delivers,” California Attorney General Rob Bonta said in a news release.

In filing the suit, Bonta and New York Attorney General Letitia James were joined by the attorneys general of Colorado, Illinois, Oregon, North Carolina, Connecticut and Virginia.

Nexstar and Tegna did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the legal coalition’s filing.

Federal Communications Commission Chair Brendan Carr has said he supports the proposed deal. “Let’s get it done,” Carr wrote in a Feb. 7 post on X.

But completing the merger would require changing a federal rule that bars a single company from reaching more than 39% of U.S. households. The combined entity would reach nearly 60% of U.S. households.

The FCC has not publicly announced whether it plans to hold a vote on changing the national ownership cap. The agency did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In recent months, state attorneys general have asserted themselves on other issues at the nexus of antitrust and the media industry.

More than two dozen Republican and Democratic state attorneys general filed a motion for a mistrial in a federal antitrust case that aimed to break up Live Nation and Ticketmaster. (Live Nation, the parent company of Ticketmaster, ultimately settled with the Justice Department.)

Bonta’s office is also investigating Paramount Skydance’s deal to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery, a merger that would unite two historic Hollywood movie studios and potentially put CNN under the same corporate roof as CBS News.

The lawsuit over the Nexstar-Tegna deal was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California. It argues that the deal violates Section 7 of the Clayton Antitrust Act, which bars acquisitions that would “substantially lessen competition.”

Bonta’s office has argued that the merger would reduce healthy competition in the Sacramento and San Diego media market, while James’ office has said it is concerned about the effects of consolidation in the Buffalo media market.

Nexstar oversees more than 200 owned and partner stations in 116 markets across the country. The company’s assets also include the broadcast network The CW and the cable news channel NewsNation. Tegna has 64 stations across 51 markets.

“This illegal merger threatens local news and could raise fees for consumers by combining hundreds of TV stations under the same owner. I’m suing to stop Nexstar’s illegal merger with Tegna to keep cable bills down and ensure New Yorkers can access the independent local news options they count on,” James said in a statement.

California and New York’s plans to challenge the Nexstar-Tegna deal were first reported earlier this month by The Wall Street Journal.



Source link

You may be interested

How I track my corgi with an Apple AirTag
Technology
shares3,602 views
Technology
shares3,602 views

How I track my corgi with an Apple AirTag

new admin - Aug 19, 2026

The Apple AirTag may be a jack-of-all-trades — people use it for keeping track of keys, suitcases, backpacks, purses —…

Almost Half of Colleges Haven’t Fully Submitted Student Data
Education
shares3,054 views
Education
shares3,054 views

Almost Half of Colleges Haven’t Fully Submitted Student Data

new admin - Aug 19, 2026

[ad_1] The Education Department’s Office of Federal Student Aid is warning hundreds of institutions that their access to federal grants…

Charlie Kirk was targeted for his politics, prosecutors say bullet engraving shows
Top Stories
shares3,053 views
Top Stories
shares3,053 views

Charlie Kirk was targeted for his politics, prosecutors say bullet engraving shows

new admin - Aug 19, 2026

Salt Lake City — Prosecutors in Charlie Kirk 's killing pointed Tuesday to an engraved bullet, arguing that the inscription…